What Is Black Mold?
Mold is Everywhere in Shreveport
Though mold is indoors and out in Shreveport, excessive water or moisture indoors is concerning. Materials with high cellulose content, such as particleboard, gypsum, and paper, as well as wall coverings, fabrics, and carpet, provide the perfect environment for spores to develop.
Sensational news reports about the dangers of “black mold” or “toxic mold” may seem alarming and confusing. SERVPRO wants to give you the facts, to understand mold better. The actual color of Stachybotrys chartarum is greenish-black. Without expensive testing, it is difficult to determine which type of mold is present. Stachybotrys smells especially strong.
Excess humidity is required for mold to begin to grow. No matter the species, growth can occur when there is moisture from water damage, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding.
Treat mold with caution – stay out of affected areas. Please don’t touch or disturb it.
Mold remediation as a DIY project is not advisable for several reasons:
• Minimal exposure during removal can lead to health issues
• Cleaning can release spores that migrate, so a small problem becomes a more significant problem
• Elimination, often requires personal protection gear, air filters, and containment systems
• Mold may be hiding in unassuming locations such as air vents
If you suspect mold, call SERVPRO of South Shreveport, a certified mold removal specialist. For residences or commercial buildings, learn what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of South Shreveport immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (318) 865-4655
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of South Shreveport is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of South Shreveport proudly serves Shreveport, Forbing, and surrounding areas.